Friday 11 January 2013

WIP - Louis the XIV army

Well, I'm sold.  I am very impressed with the results of the Army Painter dip.  It really gives my figures depth and makes them look fantastic. (compared to my usual painting).

So, from all the various posts/hints and recommendations on how to use the army painter, it boils down to this.

Paint the model with your normal colours, don't worry about dry brushing/shading
Paint the model with army dip (I don't dip, I paint as I can't shake the paint off like it suggests, I don't have a back yard)
Let the dip dry for 24 hours
Give the model a matt varnish
finished!

The matt varnish really improves the figure.



Figures with the base paint



Now with the matt varnish.




Might need to improve my photos.

Anyway, I will put up more photos soon.









6 comments:

TamsinP said...

The quick-shade looks quite effective for doing an army quickly, but the spirit base puts me off. It looks as though it does a similar job to my Klear/ink wash which is
a) water soluble
b) pleasantly smelly
c) a lot cheaper!

ps - you need to add the Followers widget to your sidebar :)

Unknown said...

Indeed the followers widget would be nice.

As I told you some time ago, when you showed them to me, I like the result. But I prefer the more painful way of doing 3 layers ;)

Anyway. Hope to see your complete army soon.

Cheers

Seb

Ray Rousell said...

Nice work, I use Windsor and Newton Peat Brown Ink, its does the same kind of thing. Keep up the great work, I'll follow with interest. Tamsin's right you do need a follower widget!

Alessandro "Callaghan" said...

Nice work!!

the.urban.bunny said...

I'll post photos of the painted army shortly.

Managed to get them based and flocked two days before going to USK in Wales.

the.urban.bunny said...

For those who have the skill/talent, paint three layers.

For me, I need all the help I can get.